E.I. Uvayeva a*, G.Kh. Shcherbina b**, E.D. Shimkovich c***
aZhytomyr Polytechnic State University, Zhytomyr, 10005 Ukraine
bPapanin Institute for Biology of Inland Waters, Russian Academy of Sciences, Borok, 152742 Russia
cKazan Federal University, Kazan, 420008 Russia
E-mail: *firstname.lastname@example.org, **email@example.com, ***firstname.lastname@example.org
Received March 25, 2019
Full text PDF
For citation: Uvayeva E.I., Shcherbina G.Kh., Shimkovich E.D. The role of differences in trematode invasion of male and female viviparids (Mollusca, Gastropoda, Viviparidae) of Central Polesia in reproduction of their populations. Uchenye Zapiski Kazanskogo Universiteta. Seriya Estestvennye Nauki, 2020, vol. 162, no. 1, pp. 151–161. doi: 10.26907/2542-064X.2020.1.151-161. (In Russian)
Trematode invasion of Viviparus viviparus (Lіnné, 1758) and V. contectus (Millet, 1813) populations from the region of Central Polesia (Ukraine) was analyzed. It was revealed that the total rates of trematode (parthenitae and larvae) infection in the viviparid populations under study differ between males and females. Age-related differences were also found: the trematode prevalence was higher in younger female and older male viviparids. It was suggested that differences in the infection rates of male and female molluscs by trematodes is a way to effectively control the parasite–host interaction at the population level in order to hold up the stability of host reproduction. The obtained results demonstrate that the viviparid populations maintain a high reproduction level, because trematodes infect such age and gender groups that are least important in the reproduction process.
Keywords: Viviparus viviparus, V. contectus, gender, age, reproduction, trematodes, invasion prevalence
Fig. 1. Gender ratio (proportion of males) in different age groups of V. viviparus (a) and V. contectus (b): X-axis – age (years); Y-axis – the proportion of males (%).
Fig. 2. Fecundity of V. viviparus (a) and V. contectus (b) females in the water bodies of Central Polesia: X-axis – age (years); Y-axis – individual fecundity (emb./female).
- Anistratenko V.V., Anistratenko O.Yu. Mollusks. In: Fauna Ukrainy [Fauna of Ukraine]. Vol. 29. Book 1: Class Polyplacophorans or Chitons, class Gastropods – Cyclobranchia, Scutibranchia, and Pectinibranchia (part). Kiev, Veles, 2001. 240 p. (In Russian)
- Levina O.V. Mollusks of the family Viviparidae of reservoirs of the Dnieper cascade. Gidrobiol. Zh., 1992, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 60–65. (In Russian)
- Miroshnichenko A.Z. Fertility of the freshwater mollusk Viviparus viviparus L. Zool. Zh., 1958, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 1635–1644. (In Russian)
- Ginetsinskaya T.A. Trematody, ikh zhiznennye tsykly, biologiya i evolyutsiya [Trematodes, Their Life Cycles, Biology, and Evolution]. Leningrad, Nauka, Leningr. Otd., 1968. 411 p. (In Russian)
- Stadnychenko A.P. Pathogenic effect of trematode larvae on Viviparus vivparus (L., 1758) (Gastropoda, Prosobranchia). Parasitologiya, 1972, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 154–160. (In Russian)
- Chernogorenko M.I., Nizovskaya L.V., Chernogorenko E.V. The influence of host gender on the infection of mollusks of the family Viviparidae Gray, 1847 by trematode larvae. Mater. X konf. Ukrainskogo obshchestva parazitologov [Proc. X Conf. Ukr. Soc. Parasitol.]. Pt. 2. Kiev, Naukova Dumka, 1985, p. 322. (In Russian)
- Jeźewski W. Occurrence of Digenea (Trematoda) in two Viviparus species from lakes, rivers and а dam reservoir. Helminthologia, 2004, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 147–150.
- Zhadin V.I. Metody gidrobiologicheskogo issledovaniya [Methods of Hydrobiological Research]. Moscow, Vyssh. Shk., 1960. 191 p. (In Russian)
- Glöer P. Sübwassergastropoden. Mollusca I. Nord- und Mitteleuropas. Hackenheim, ConchBooks, 2002. 327 S. (In German)
- Zdun V.І. Trematode Larvae in Freshwater Mollusks of Ukraine. Kiev, Vyd. AN URSR, 1961. 143 p. (In Ukrainian)
- Chernogorenko M.I. Lichinki trematod v mollyuskakh Dnepra i ego vodokhranilishch (fauna, biologiya, zakonomernosti formirovaniya) [Trematode Larvae in Mollusks of the Dnieper River and Its Reservoirs (Fauna, Biology, Formation Patterns)]. Kiev, Naukova Dumka, 1983. 210 p. (In Russian)
- Katalog gel’mintov pozvonochnykh Ukrainy. Trematody nazemnykh pozvonochnykh [Catalogue of Vertebrate Helminths of Ukraine. Trematodes of Terrestrial Vertebrates]. Iskova N.I., Sharpilo V.P., Sharpilo L.D., Tkach V.V. (Eds.). Kiev, Inst. Zool. im. I.I. Shmal’gauzena, 1995. 92 p. (In Russian)
- Uvaeva E.I., Shurova N.M. Assessment of the ecological well-being of water bodies using the sexual structure of Viviparus viviparus L. (Mollusca, Gastropoda, Viviparidae) populations. Vesn. Grodz. Dzyarzh. Univ. im. Yanki Kupaly. Ser. 5. Ekan. Satsyyal. Biyal., 2014, vol. 182, no. 3, pp. 141–147. (In Russian)
- Geodakyan V.A. Differentiated mortality and the reaction norm of the male and female sex. Zh. Obshch. Biol., 1974, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 376–385. (In Russian)
- Uvaeva O.I. Fecundity of freshwater molluscs of Viviparus contectus (Millet, 1813). Nauk. Zap. Ternop. Nats. Pedagog. Univ. Ser. Biol. Spets. Vyp.: Gidroekol., 2015, vol. 64, nos. 3–4, pp. 669–671. (In Ukrainian)
The content is available under the license Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.