Rector Ilshat Gafurov and other executives toured the facility.
This tribute to the great mathematician and Rector of Kazan University has been long in the making and will finally be unveiled on December 1st, during Lobachevsky's 225th anniversary celebrations. Naturally, the museum is situated in the Rector’s House, the one where Lobachevsky and his family actually resided during his tenure. It was built in 1825 and has been refurbished in 2017, with the funding mostly coming from donations.
Director of the KFU Museum Complex Svetlana Frolova guided the guests through the rooms.
The first floor consists of:
1) the entrance zone with an exhibit composition called “Being Lobachevsky’s guests”;
2) the stairs and the memorial zone with a bust.
The second floor is the main one and houses, in particular:
1) the Lobachevsky’s Office with memorabilia, documents, and books;
2) the Non-Euclidean Geometry Hall showing the development of the scientist’s ideas through photos, papers, and personal items;
3) the Hall of Lobachevsky Prize Winners made in the image of Lobachevsky's real guestroom. Portraits and information about prize winners will be stationed here;
4) a library with manuscripts and papers in mathematics;
5) an exhibition room. The first expo to be shown there is called “Contemporaries of Lobachevsky” and includes items from the National Museum of Tatarstan, the State Museum of Fine Arts of Tatarstan, and private collections.
The Museum will be available for tourists and educational activities after its opening on December 1st.