The staff of the department are continuing and developing the traditions and scientific schools of Adjunct Professor I.I. Khalfin, prof. M.G. Kurbangaleev, E.M. Akhunzyanov, F.S. Safiullina, R.R. Zamaletdinov in the field of general and comparative typological linguistics, Turkic and Tatar linguistics (synchrony and diachrony), the methodology of teaching Tatar language for a foreign language audience, translation studies, lexicography, linguoculturology and intercultural communication. They conduct active scientific and educational activities in the area of general and Turkic linguistics.
In the meantime, the combined staff of the department is represented by 3 doctors of (professors: G.H. Gilazetdinova, R.R. Zamaletdinov (head of the department), A.Sh. Yusupova), 17 candidates of sciences (docents: R.M. Bolgarov, H.F. Gabdrakhmanova, E.N. Dinmuhamedova, G.F. Zamaletdinova, E.A Islamova, I.Zh. Edikhanow, Z.N. Kirillova, G.R. Mustakimovа, G.A. Nabiullina, R.S. Nurmukhametova, R.R. Salakhova, M R. Sattarova, F.R. Sibgaeva, K.S. Fatkhullova, R.R. Khusnutdinov (PhD); senior lecturers: A.S. Gainutdinova (PhD), R.I. Latypov), 1 senior lecturer A. R. Ayupova.
The goal of the department is the preparation of highly qualified, competitive philologists, strengthening the leading position of the department as a leading scientific and educational center in the field of general linguistics and Turkic studies.
The Department of General Linguistics and Turkology offers the following educational programs:
- Philology: Applied Philology: Tatar language and literature, theory of translation with advanced study of foreign language (bachelor's degree);
- Philology: Applied Philology: Tatar language and literature, journalism
- Master's degree in Philology ("Philology, Türkic Languages in Intercultural Communication") (45.04.01), ("Philology, Turkology") (45.04.01), ("Tataristics") (45.04.01).
- Postgraduate and doctoral studies in the field of "Russian Language" (10.02.01), "Comparative-historical, Typological and Contrastive linguistics " (10.02.20);
- Postgraduate studies in the field of "Languages of the Russian Federation peoples" (10.02.02), "Theory of language" (10.02.19);