G.S. Tarasov*, O.I. Khamitov**, L.A. Frolova***
Kazan Federal University, Kazan, 420008 Russia
E-mail: *firstname.lastname@example.org, **email@example.com, ***Larissa.Frolova@kpfu.ru
Received November 11, 2015
Full text PDF
Seasonal fluctuations in the species composition and quantitative indices of benthic communities in the littoral zone of the Kuybyshev Reservoir were investigated near the village of Staroe Arakchino in the summer–autumn season of 2014. On the whole, 40 taxa of macrozoobenthos were identified during the period of investigation. These taxa belong to the following groups of invertebrates: the phyllum of Mollusca (the classes of Bivalvia and Gastropoda), the class of Insecta (the orders of Diptera, Ephemeroptera, Odonata), and the phyllum of Annelida (the classes of Oligochaeta and Hirudinea). The highest species diversity was observed for insects and mollusks species. There was a reduction in the species diversity compared to the data of a similar research performed in 2010–2013. Zoobenthos samples were characterized by the absence of some orders of insects (Trichoptera, Coleoptera larvae and adults) and Maxillopoda. The abundance and biomass indices of macrozoobenthos in 2014 were lower than the same indices in 2010–2013. Two classes of mollusks (Gastropoda and Bivalvia) formed the dominant group in abundance and biomass. The significant influence on the quantitative indices was produced by Viviparus viviparus (L., 1758), as well as by such invasive species as Dreissena polymorpha (Pallas, 1771) and Lithoglyphus naticoides (Pfeiffer, 1828).
Keywords: zoobenthos, littoral zone, Volga reach, Kuybyshev Reservoir
Fig. 1. Ratio of the taxonomic groups in zoobenthic communities of the littoral zone of the Kuybyshev Reservoir.
Fig. 2. Dynamics of the abundance of mollusks inhabiting the littoral zone of the Kuybyshev Reservoir in 2014.
Fig. 3. Dynamics of the abundance of soft zoobenthos in the littoral zone of the Kuybyshev Reservoir in 2014.
- Bakanov A.I. Using zoobenthos to monitor freshwater reservoirs. Biol. Vnutr. Vod, 2000, no. l, pp. 69–82. (In Russian)
- Kuybyshev Reservoir (Scientific Resource Book), Rosenberg G.S., Vykhristyuk L.A. (Eds.). Tolyatti, IEVB RAN, 2008. 123 p. (In Russian)
- Kuybyshev Reservoir. Leningrad, Nauka, 1983. 215 p. (In Russian)
- Butorin N.V. Abiotic factors of productivity of reservoirs. Biologicheskie resursy vodokhranilishch [Biological Resources of Reservoirs]. Moscow, Nauka, 1984, pp. 8–22. (In Russian)
- Butorin N.V., Uspenskii S.M. The value of shallow waters in the biological productivity of reservoirs. Biologicheskie resursy vodokhranilishch [Biological Resources of Reservoirs]. Moscow, Nauka, 1984, pp. 23–40. (In Russian)
- Furey P.C., Nordin R.N., Mazumder A. Littoral benthic macroinvertebrates under contrasting drawdown in a reservoir and a natural lake. J. North Am. Benthol. Soc., 2006, vol.?25, no.?1, pp.?19–31.
- Borisovich M.G., Yakovlev V.A. Trophic structure of zooplankton in shoals of different types of the Volga and Volga-Kama reaches of the Kuybyshev Reservoir. Uchenye Zapiski Kazanskogo Universiteta. Seriya Estestvennye Nauki, 2011, vol. 153, no. 2, pp. 214–227. (In Russian)
- Novikova N.M. Ecotone “water-land” systems: Recent advances and research problems. Problemy izucheniya kraevykh struktur biotsenozov: Materialy 2-i Vseros. nauch. konf. s mezhdunar. uchastiem [Problems of Studying of Boundary Structures of Biocenoses: Proc. 2nd All-Russian Scientific Conf. Int. Participation]. Saratov, Izd. Sarat. Univ., 2008, pp. 62–66. (In Russian)
- Poddubnyi S.A., Sukhova E.V. Modeling the Effect of Hydrodynamic and Anthropogenic Factors on the Distribution of Hydrobionts in Aquatic Reservoirs: User's Guide. Rybinsk, Izd. OAO “Rybinsk. Dom Pechati”, 2002. 120 p. (In Russian)
- Borovkova T.N., Nikulin P.I., Shirokov V.M. Kuybyshev Reservoir. Kuybyshev, Kn. Izd., 1962. 89 p. (In Russian)
- Shitikov V.K., Zinchenko T.D., Golovatyuk L.V. Assessing surface water quality based on indicator zoobenthos species. Water Resour., 2004, vol.?31, no?3, pp.?323–332.
- Shuiskii V.F., Maksimova T.V., Petrov. D.S. Bioindication of water quality, state of freshwater ecosystems, and their anthropogenic changes. Sb. nauchn. dokl. VII mezhdunar. konf. “Ekologiya i razvitie Severo-Zapada Rossii” [Proc. Sci. Papers of VII Int. Conf. “Ecology and Development of Northwest Russia”]. St. Petersburg, Izd. MANEB, 2002, pp. 441–451. (In Russian)
- Popchenko V.I., Zinchenko T.D. Zoobenthos of Volga reservoirs. Volzhskii bassein: ekologicheskaya situatsiya i puti ratsional'nogo prirodopol'zovaniya [Volga Basin: Ecological Situation and Ways of Sustainable Environmental Management]. Tolyatti, IEVB Ross. Akad. Nauk, 1996, pp. 65–72. (In Russian)
- Zhadin V.I. Methods of Hydrobiological Research. Moscow, Vysshaya Shkola, 1960. 191 p. (In Russian)
- Mikhailov R.A. Distribution of mollusks of the genus Dreissena in water bodies and watercourses of the Middle and Lower Volga. Russ. J. Biol. Invasions, 2015, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 109–117.
- Yakovleva A.V., Yakovlev V.A. Impact of Dreissena polymorpha and Dreissena bugensis on structure of zoobenthos in the upper reaches of the Kuybyshev Reservoir (Russia). Russ. J. Biol. Invasions, 2011, vol.?2, no.?4, pp.?312–319.
- Yakovleva A.V., Yakovlev V.A., Sabirov R.M. Zoobenthos invaders and their distribution in the upper part of the Kuybyshev Reservoir. Uchenye Zapiski Kazanskogo Universiteta. Seriya Estestvennye Nauki, 2009, vol. 151, no. 2, pp. 231–243. (In Russian)
- Kurbangalieva Kh.M. Benthos of the Sviyazhsk Bay of the Kuibyshev Reservoir. Rezul'taty kompleksnogo izucheniya fauny Sviyazhskogo zaliva Kuibyshevskogo vodokhranilishcha v period ee formirovaniya: Tem. sb. [The Results of Comprehensive Study of the Fauna of the Sviyazhsk Bay of the Kuybyshev Reservoir in the Period of Its Formation]. Kazan, Izd. Kazan. Gos. Univ., 1965, pp. 65–85. (In Russian)
- Lyakhov S.M. On the coastal benthos in the Kuybyshev Reservoir. Biol. Vnutr. Vod, 1972, no. 14, pp. 10–14. (In Russian)
- Zinchenko T.D., Shitikov V.K. Hydrobiological monitoring as a basis of typology of small rivers in Samara region. Izv. Samar. Nauchn. Tsentra, Ross. Akad. Nauk, 1999, vol.?1, no.?1, pp.?118–127.
- Life of Fresh Waters in the USSR. Мoscow, Izd. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1956, vol. 4, no. 1. 470 p. (In Russian)
- Dolgov G.I., Nikitinskii Ya.Ya. Hydrobiological methods of research. Standartnye metody issledovaniya pit'evykh i stochnykh vod [Standard Methods of the Study of Drinking and Waste Waters]. Moscow, Mospoligraf, 1927, pp. 142–217. (In Russian)
- Barton D.R., Griffiths M. Benthic invertebrates of the nearshore zone of eastern Lake Huron, Georgian Bay, and North Channel. J. Great Lakes Res., 1984, vol.?10, no.?4, pp.?407–416.
- Meire P.M., Dereu J.P.J., J. van der Meer, Develter D.W.G. Aggregation of littoral macrobenthic species: some theoretical and practical considerations. Hydrobiologia, 1989, vol.?175, no.?2, pp.?137–148.
- Jaccard P. Distribution de la flore alpine dans le Bassin des Dranses et dans quelques regions voisines. Bull. Soc. Vaudoise sci. Natur., 1901, Bd.?37, H.?140, S.?241—272. (In French)
- Sörensen T. A method of establishing groups of equal amplitude in plant sociology based on similarity of species content and its application to analyses of the vegetation on Danish commons. Biol. Skr. – K. Dan. Vidensk. Selsk., 1948, Bd. V, H. 4, S. 1–34.
- Trass Kh.Kh. Geobotany. History and Modern Development Trends. Leningrad, Nauka, 1976. 252 p. (In Russian)
- Koch L.F. Index of biotal dispersity. Ecology, 1957, vol.?38, no.?1, pp.?145–148.
- Shitikov V.K., Rozenberg G.S., Zinchenko T.D. Quantitative Hydroecology: System Identification Methods. Tolyatti, IEVB Ross. Akad. Nauk, 2003. 463 p. (In Russian)
- Hammer Ø., Harper D.A.T., Ryan P.D. PAST: Paleontological Statistics Software Package for Education and Data Analysis. Ver. 3.08. 2001. Available at: http://folk.uio.no/ohammer/past.
- Khamitov O.I., Tarasov G.S., Yakovlev V.A., Frolova L.A. The influence of seasonal water level dynamics on the littoral macrozoobenthos of the Kuybyshev Reservoir near the village Staroye Arakchino (Kazan). Uchenye Zapiski Kazanskogo Universiteta. Seriya Estestvennye Nauki, 2014, vol. 156, no. 3, pp. 58–66. (In Russian)
- Tarasov G.S., Khamitov O.I., Frolova L.A., Belyaev A.N. Macrozoobenthos cenosises of littoral areas of Volga reach of Kuybyshev Reservoir. Voda: Khim. Ekol., 2015, no. 5, pp. 35–40. (In Russian)
- Yakovlev V.A., Akhmetzyanova N.Sh., Yakovleva A.V. Macroinvertebrate communities in different types of shallow water biotopes of the Volga reach of the Kuybyshev water reservoir. Povolzh. Ekol. Zh., 2012, no. 3, pp. 347–355. (In Russian)
- Yakovlev V.A., Yakovleva A.V. Polychaete Hypania invalida (Polychaeta: Ampharetidae) in the Kuybyshev Reservoir: Distribution and size and weight parameters. Ross. J. Biol. Invasions, 2010, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 145–151.
- Mackey A.P. Emergence pattern of three species of Caenis Stephens (Ephemeroptera: Caenidae). Hydrobiologia, 1978, vol.?58, no.?3, pp.?277–280.
- Saulich A.H., Musolin D.L. Seasonal Development of Aquatic and Semi-Aquatic Insects (Heteroptera). St. Petersburg: Izd. S.-Peterb. Univ., 2007. 203 p. (In Russian)
For citation: Tarasov G.S., Khamitov O.I., Frolova L.A. Characterization of littoral macrozoobenthos communities of the Kuybyshev Reservoir in the area of Kazan. Uchenye Zapiski Kazanskogo Universiteta. Seriya Estestvennye Nauki, 2016, vol. 158, no. 1, pp. 135–147. (In Russian)
The content is available under the license Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.