The formation of the department of universal and national history as a scientific and pedagogical division dates back to 1988. The origins of its formation and development are connected with work of highly qualified scholars and teachers of Moscow, Kazan, and Izhevsk scientific schools - candidates of historical sciences, associate professors R.Kh. Sharifullin, K.I. Korepanov, L.A. Dryagilev, V.A. Endiriakov, N.A. Sergeev, R.Kh. Khaziyev.
Over the years of fruitful educational activities and research work, the department has developed rich scientific and pedagogical traditions and its own historical school. The research, scientific and methodological, publishing activity of the department has noticeably increased. Currently, teachers are developing the problems of the history of the Russian province.
The department has an archaeological circle (the head is Associate Professor A.Z. Nigamaev), the School of Guides (the head is the head of the museum complex).
Since 2014-2015 academic year , the department has been training bachelors in the direction 44.03.05 Pedagogical education profile "History and Social Studies"; 44.03.01 Pedagogical education, profile "History"; carries out training of specialists of higher school in the direction of 46.06.01 Historical sciences and archeology, profile 07.00.02 - Russian history; working on new additional professional development programs for teachers; continues to develop electronic educational resources; leads the acquisition of the material and technical base of the Laboratory of Regional Historical Studies and the Archaeological Laboratory.
Active educational, research and methodical work of teachers of the department and their professionalism contribute to the preparation of highly qualified teachers of history and social studies.
• Formation of skills of semantic reading in the course of national history in primary school
• Family of the county town of Vyatka province in the second half of the 19th - early 20th c.
• The interaction of society and the environment in the era of industrial revolution: the historical experience of the Middle Volga region (the 19th - early 20th c.)
• Municipal government of the second half of the 19th - early 20th c.
• Kazan educational district (the 19th - early 20th c.)
• The appearance of the Russian province: historical and modern sociocultural problems
• The professional status of teachers of the Russian Empire in the second half of the 19th - early 20th c. (on materials of Kazan and Vyatka provinces)
• Ethnic processes in the Lower and Middle Kama regions in the Middle Ages