The Department of Philosophy and Sociology was established in 1953 at the time of the creation of the Elabuga State Pedagogical Institute. Since that time, its names have changed, but the main tasks remained:
• teaching a number of social and philosophical disciplines;
• the formation and development of a philosophical worldview, students' personal culture;
• conducting scientific and theoretical studies of human problems,
• training in social and philosophical disciplines;
• lecturing, educational work among schoolchildren, students, the population in the region.
Teachers of the department participate in the program of preparing schoolchildren for the Unified State Exam in social studies, they are actively working with school teachers.
The department prepares graduate students and applicants for the candidate's exam in the discipline "History and Philosophy of Science".
The department actively participates in the work of scientific and practical conferences devoted to social and philosophical problems.
Since 2008, the department has organized and held the All-Russian Scientific and Practical Conference "Man in modern social and philosophical concepts."
The direction of the research work is “Man in the socio-economic and legal space of the modern world community.”
The department operates graduate school in two specialties:
• 09. 00. 01 - “Ontology and the theory of knowledge”,
• 09. 00. 11 - “Social philosophy”.
The department implements master’s programme:
44.04.01.Teacher training, profile "Social Studies" (correspondence course).
Topics of applied methodical research
• New electronic educational technologies of teaching social and philosophical disciplines