Department of General and National History has a Laboratory for Regional Historical Research. The foundation of the Laboratory was determined by the need to involve the teaching staff, graduate students and students into preservation, processing, publication of materials on the history and culture of the region, as well as by concentration of regional studies in a single structure.
Students of History Department at History and Jurisprudence faculty, as part of their course papers and graduate qualification studies, research problems related to the history of the Volga-Kama region. The result of the research activity is participation of students in international and all-Russian conferences.
The activity of the laboratory is carried out within the framework of a long-term comprehensive program, the tasks of which are as follows
• replenishment and systematization of the source base on history and culture of the Volga-Kama region;
• development of a methodology for processing archival materials, prospective translation of the existing database into electronic media, creation of a photo, audio and video library;
• preparation of scientific articles on the problems of microhistorical research in the field of regional history of the Volga-Kama region;
• organization and holding of scientific and scientific-practical conferences in the main areas of the laboratory;
• assistance to teachers, graduate students and post graduate students in the organization of research work on the subject of the laboratory;
• participation in competitions for grants on the subject of the laboratory;
• improvement of expositions and preparation of thematic exhibitions for historical museums of Elabuga Institute of KFU;
• participation in meetings of Elabuga local history society;
• approbation of programs and methods for children and youth in historical researches;
• collaboration with institutions dealing with the related issues.