Department of System Analysis and Information Technology has been established in the Kazan State University (KSU) 1 January 2006 as a reaction to the massive computerization and informatization of social processes in the beginning of the XXI century. Now the department has more than 29 employees, 14 of which have scientific degrees.
Scientific research in the field of information technology (IT) at the Kazan University began to develop in the late 50-ies in the department of applied (computing) mathematics and mathematical analysis in the laboratory of the Department of Algebra. In addition to fundamental research, it was conducted practical work. The most significant achievement in this area is the creation of a system of time-sharing. That system has been developed by group of employees of the Department of Applied Mathematics and Computing Center under the direction of Suldin A.V. Сreation of the Faculty of Computing Mathematics and Cybernetics in 1978 has given a new impetus for research. There were research on probabilistic automata, complexity theory, applied mathematical logic, optimization methods, computational linguistics, fault tolerance and diagnostics, information security in Departments of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Cybernetics of faculty. However, it has become evident the need to focus efforts on scientific and educational work in information technology when in 2005 year an educational program "Information Technology" was opened. Therefore at the Faculty Department of System Analysis and Information Technologies was open. Most of the staff of the new department had previously worked at the Department of Applied Mathematics.
Information on the Head of the Department
Head of the department is the professor Roustam Latypov. Additional information:
• Member of the "IEEE Test Technology Technical Council", the association "Resiliency and diagnostics technology."
• Member of the editorial board of the journal "Canadian Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences", "Scientific notes of the Kazan University. A series of physical and mathematical sciences"
• A member of dissertation councils for doctoral theses in the Kazan University.
• Member of the Academy of Engineering Sciences them. A.M. Prokhorov.
Two educational programs for a Bachelor's degree are implementing at the Department of System Analysis and Information Technologies:
• 02.03.02 "The Fundamental Informatics and Information Technologies";
• 10.03.01 "Information Security".
Also two educational programs for a Master’s degree:
• 02.04.02 "The Fundamental Informatics and Information Technologies"
• 09.04.02 "Applied Informatics" (master's program "Information security for economical systems").
The educational program "The Fundamental Informatics and Information Technologies" (for Bachelor's and Master’s degrees) is intended to implement the various activities of the graduate. Of course, the main is the practical activity of the graduate (our students study several programming languages and programming technologies, methodology of software engineering and systems analysis for design complex software and information systems, for design and testing of software, familiar with the various telecommunication technologies), which allows them to be in demand in the labor market of IT professionals. The essential attention, especially for Master's programs, also is given theoretical training of graduates in the field of fundamental computer science (development of new efficient algorithms and methods of storage, search and processing of information, information security, digital processing images and sound, computer graphics, mathematical methods for decision support, machine learning and data mining). This require a deep knowledge and understanding of basic mathematics: mathematical analysis, linear algebra, probability theory and mathematical statistics, discrete mathematics and mathematical logic.
The first graduates of educational program "Information Security" will be in 2016. However, the educational work in this area in the Department of System Analysis and Information Technologies is not new. Long before it, such specialization was realized at the educational program "Applied Mathematics and Informatics". In a separate educational program we able to expand this training. Students studies such mathematical tools to protect as the theory of information coding and cryptography, digital signal processing, the concealment of information in diverse objects, mathematical methods of intrusion detection based on the application of machine learning and data mining. Thus, the graduate will receive a wide range of mathematical knowledge in the field of information security and related areas. In addition, significant attention is given to the implementation of the competencies associated with the use of modern information technology. Students study several programming languages, study to use modern technologies of programming and software engineering, study to use software to detect threats to the enterprise information system (based on the network and other web-based technologies) and design them according with protection to the main types of attacks. Thus, we consider information security as a professional area located at the intersection of applied mathematics and information technologies.
A similar approach is the basis of the master's program "Information Security for Economical Systems" in "Applied Informatics", the first group of students for which was made in 2015.
Also, at the department conducted postgraduate studies in areas 02.06.01 "Computer and Information Sciences" and 06.09.01 "Computer Science and Engineering" (the program "Mathematical and Software of Computers, Complexes and Computer Networks"). Department staff also supervised graduate students on specialties 01.01.07 "Computing Mathematics" and 01.01.09 "Discrete Mathematics and Mathematical Cybernetics."
The main areas of research are:
• Mathematical models of equilibrium problems;
• Mathematical Foundations of information security;
• Mathematical methods for decision support systems;
• Network and telecommunications technologies;
• Machine learning and data analysis;
• Quantum computing;
• Intelligent systems and so forth.
Our graduates work in Tatarstan at such large enterprises as Kazanorgsintez, Kazancompressormash, Elecon, KAMAZ Group of Companies, TATNEFT, ICL-KME CS, BARS Group, in various federal and regional banks. Many graduates continue education in program of Master’s degree in Germany, Finland and other countries.
The most famous graduates:
• D.M.Eremeev, founder of the IT-companies FIX;
• A.D Vagizov, Executive Director of ICL Services, earlier Fujitsu Russia GDC (Global Delivery Center).
• Professor of the Department of System Analysis and Information Technologies Igor Konnov was the winner of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation among scientists that have achieved high academic results in mathematics (federal professors). He will carry out an individual plan for the development of mathematics education in high schools in the additional financial support until 2020.
• A graduate in 2015 of the "The Fundamental Informatics and Information Technologies" Camil Hismatullin still learning on 4 course, found in the "engine" broadcasts YouTube bug that allows to delete any uploaded video. Report a vulnerability into Google, Camil received from this company a substantial reward.
• In 2015, students in master's program "The Fundamental Informatics and Information Technologies" Vladimir Butin and Ramis Yamilov were members of one of the 128 teams of programmers at the 39th World Championships in sports programming. This team became the first team from Tatarstan was held for the selection of the final 39 years of the championship.