The Institute of Oriental Studies and International Relations, Kazan (Volga Region) Federal University, is a Research and Education Institute, established to form and develop the modern school of Oriental Studies for systemic training of qualified specialists in the field of Oriental Studies and International Relations.
The Institute of Oriental Studies and International Relations, established considering the trends and demands of modern society, presents a result of experience and knowledge of leading International and Russian scientific, educational institutions, covering different areas of Oriental Studies and International Relations.
The Institute was established by order of the Rector of KFU to change and establish a temporary structure of IVMO (Institute of Oriental Studies and International Relations)) - № 01-06/493 October, 17th, 2011 on the basis of the Institute of Oriental Studies, KFU (founded in 2000).
The objectives of the Institute are:
- training qualified specialists in Language, Culture, History, Economics, Politics of Oriental Countries, Asia and Africa, International Relations, Foreign Area Studies, Islamic studies, International law (since 2013);
- training specialists in science and education in the field of Oriental Studies, Foreign Area Studies, General International Relations, capable of working in education and at state and municipal institutions of various kinds, including the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation and international organizations;
- the formation of personality, general scientific and socio-cultural competencies of graduates to perform state tasks in the field of international relations;
- formation (academic development) and distribution of knowledge in the field of Oriental Studies and International Relations.
Objectives in Education:
- implementation of State Standard of Higher Professional Education in the field of Oriental and African Studies, International Relations and Languages of Asia and Africa (‘specialty’ studies - 5 years).
- development and implementation of educational programs of State Standard of Higher Professional Education in the following areas: International Relations, Foreign Area Studies, Islamic Studies, History and Culture of the East, Oriental Languages, Turkic Philology, Pedagogy (bachelor studies - 4 years).
- development and implementation of master degree programs on topical issues of International Relations and World Politics, Foreign Area Studies, Islamic studies, History and Culture of the East, Oriental Languages.
- development and implementation of post-graduate programs of State Standard of Higher Professional Education (Post-graduate Studies, Doctorate Studies).
- training and improvement of specialists’ professional skills in the Humanities in the fields of Linguistics, Oriental Studies and International Relations.
Objectives in Research:
- complete revival and further development of Kazan School of Oriental Studies (Classic Orientalism) - the rich traditions of which were interrupted in the middle of the XIX century;
- research, aimed at building a coherent picture of contemporary International Relations in some regions of the world, with particular attention to the countries of the Near, Middle (including Central Asia) and the Far East, Africa;
- study of the history, traditions, culture and basic beliefs of the Eastern peoples to form a holistic understanding of the Eastern perspective, international relations and effective dialogue with the countries of the East and Africa;
- study of the interaction of cultures and the interaction between civilizations for peaceful coexistence in a multicultural environment;
- study of models of Islamic economics and their implementation in business relations of Russia and Tatarstan with the Islamic world;
- holding international forums, participation in international projects and publications, and publishing Institute’s own academic periodicals;
- establishment of academic contacts with Russian universities and research centres in the area of Oriental Studies and International Relations.