Education of Tatar language at the Institute has been carried out since 1939.
In 1956 the Department of Tatar Language was founded.
The Department of Tatar Philology was established in 1975. From 1986 to 1992 the head of the Department was Professor L. S. Arslanov, from 1992 to 1996 - Professor R. G. Salikhov, and since 1996 – Professor N. Kh. Laisov, PhD in Philology. The Department of Tatar Philology was divided into two independent departments in September 2000.
In September 2010, the Department of Tatar Language and the Department of Tatar Literature were reunited and became known as the Department of Tatar Philology.
The Department supervises graduate programs in Tatar language and Tatar literature and a PhD program in Tatar language.