Educational and scientific laboratory Monitoring and protection of birds (UNL MOP) was founded at the Department of Biology and Ecology at Elabuga Institute of KFU in 2014. The priority task of the laboratory is to study and preserve the avifauna of the Republic of Tatarstan.
The purpose and objectives of the laboratory
The purpose of the UNL MOP: scientific work in the field of monitoring and preserving the biodiversity of the avifauna of the Republic of Tatarstan, scientific and methodological support of the educational process, improving the quality of students training.
The main activities of the UNL MOP are:
• census and registration of birds throughout the year, especially of rare and birds included in the Red Data Books of the Republic of Tatarstan and Russian Federation;
• identification of habitats, study of the number and monitoring of nesting birds of prey, their ringing and further study of migrations;
• stimulation of modernization and introduction of bird protection devices (ROM) on overhead power lines (PTL) in order to prevent the death of birds on them;
• carrying out biotechnical measures to attract birds to artificial nests in order to preserve them and increase the number of rare species, as well as to solve forestry and other environmental problems;
• identification of anthropogenic factors that critically affect the life of birds and taking action to eliminate them;
• survey of the Key Bird Areas of Russia of international importance located on the territory of the Republic of Tatarstan;
• development of birdwatching (bird watchers) and collection of information about birds coming from them from different parts of the Republic;
• emergency assistance to birds in trouble due to human activities;
• scientific publications, collaboration with the media;
• introduction of the results obtained in the educational process in the areas of training students;
• preparing students for professional activities in the field of science and education;
• provision of research, consulting and educational services to organizations, specialists of educational institutions, students, schoolchildren.
The work of the laboratory is carried out in cooperation with the National Park "Nizhnyaya Kama", the Volga-Kama State Natural Biosphere Reserve, Ministry of Forestry of the Republic of Tatarstan and state nature reserves under their subordination, the biomonitoring laboratory of Institute of Ecology and Subsoil Use of Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Tatarstan, the public organization Union for the Conservation of Birds of Russia (SOPR). The Tatarstan branch of the SOPR operates in the republic, the chairman of which is Ph.D. Arinina Alla Vladimirovna (http://vk.com/tatarstansopr).
An important activity area of the UNL MOP is solving the problem of "Birds and Power Lines" in the Republic of Tatarstan.