The Center for Cultural Studies of Postsocialism was established as a joint project of the Institute for the Comparative Studies of Modernity at the Kazan Federal University and the European University at St. Petersburg in 2011. In July 2012 the Center was granted financial support from the Open Society Foundation as a participant of the Departmental Development Partnership Program for the years 2012-2015.
The mission of the Center is to contribute to the institutionalization of Cultural Studies of Postsocialism in Russia and promote Cultural Studies as an academic discipline by creating, developing and strengthening cooperation in this field between different regional, national, and international centers and researchers.
The objectives of the Center are as follows:
- To establish and develop the Сenter as a hub for scholars in different fieds of social sciences and humanities interested in the field of Cultural Studies and, through organizing conferences, seminars, lectures and other academic events to create the network of professionals on the national and international levels
- To study the contemporary tendencies and to contribute to the achievements in the field through varied theoretical and applied research projects
- To facilitate involvement and integration of the scholars from Russia into international networks, particularly specializing in the field of Cultural Studies
- To develop and implement innovative educational programs in the field
- To strengthen educational and research capacities of the KFU in the field of Cultural Studies and disseminate our experience throughout Russia
- To contribute to the development of Cultural Studies in Russia by introducing innovative courses, conducting research and publishing its results nationally and internationally.