O.Yu. Kuznetsova a*, I.Sh. Abdullin a**, M.F. Shaekhov a***, G.K. Ziyatdinova b****, H.C. Budnikov b****
a Kazan National Research Technological University, Kazan, 420015 Russia
b Kazan Federal University, Kazan, 420008 Russia
E-mail: *email@example.com, **firstname.lastname@example.org, ***email@example.com, ****firstname.lastname@example.org, *****Herman.Budnikov@kpfu.ru
Received December 9, 2015
Full text PDF
High-frequency capacitive discharge (RF plasma) at low pressure was used as preliminary stage for the intensification of extraction from natural medicinal raw material. RF-plasma treatment was carried out in two modes differed by the nature of plasma-forming gas.
Chaga (Inonotus obliquus (Pers.) Pil.) known as the birch mushroom was selected as a perspective source of raw material. Extraction was carried out in two ways – remaceration and maceration. The analysis of chaga extracts and melanins was performed using traditional techniques including determination of physical and chemical, antioxidant and spectral characteristics.
The obtained extracts and melanins were compared to the control samples and literature data. RF-plasma treatment of medicinal raw material increased the yield of extractive substances, in particular of the main active component of chaga – melanin. The antioxidant activity of chaga extracts grew, while for melanins it remained at the level similar to that of control samples.
The IR spectral characteristics of the studied chaga melanins are similar and agree well with the literature data. Insignificant deviations in the position and intensity of absorption strips were observed for the samples after RF treatment. IR spectra of the studied chaga melanins are similar to those for mushroom melanins, thereby confirming the similarity in their nature.
RF-plasma treatment of chaga medicinal raw materials allows to modify them partially. The structural and mechanical properties of melanins modified by RF plasma remain the same.
Keywords: RF-plasma treatment, chaga, melanin, extraction, antioxidant activity
Acknowledgments. We are grateful to A.A. Chizhevskii (PhD in Chemistry, Senior Research Fellow, Department of Plasma Technology and Nanotechnology of High Molecular Weight Materials, Kazan National Research Technological University) for registration of IR spectra.
Fig. 1. IR spectra of chaga melanins obtained by: 1 – maceration (Fungi B12), 2 – remaceration (Fungi B1).
Fig. 2. IR spectra of chaga melanins obtained by maceration (Fungi B12): 1 – control; 1a – regime 1 (air); 1b – regime 2 (argon).
Fig. 3. IR spectra of chaga melanins obtained by remaceration (Fungi B1): 2 – control; 2а – regime 1 (air); 2b – regime 2 (argon).
- Korsun V.F., Krasnopol'skaya L.M., Korsun E.V., Avkhukova M.A. Antitumor Properties of Mushrooms. Moscow, Prakt. Med., 2012. 210 p. (In Russian)
- Chaga and Its Therapeutic Use in Cancer Stage IV. Bulatov P.K., Dolin V.I, Savel'ev P.S., et al. (Eds.). Leningrad, Medgiz, 1959, 334 p. (In Russian)
- Shashkina M.Ya., Shashkin P.N., Sergeev A.V. Chemical and medicobiological properties of chaga (review). Pharm. Chem. J., 2006, vol. 40, no. 10, pp. 560–568.
- Shashkina M.Ya., Shashkin P.N., Sergeev A.V. Chaga, Chagovit, Chagalyuks in Clinical and Preventive Practice. Moscow, Edas, 2009. 66 p. (In Russian)
- Babitskaya V.G., Shcherba V.V., Ikonnikova N.V. Melanin complex of the fungus Inonotus obliquus. Appl. Biochem. Microbiol., 2000, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 377–381.
- Babitskaya V.G., Shcherba V.V., Ikonnikova N.V., Bis'ko N.A., Mitropol'skaya N.Yu., Bilai V.T. Antioxidant and gene-protecting effects of the medicinal basidiomycetes Inonotus obliquus and Phellinus robustus. Usp. Med. Mikol., 2005, vol. 5, pp. 174–175. (In Russian)
- Butler, M.J., Day A.W. Fungal melanins: A review. Can. J. Microbiol., 1998, vol. 44, no. 12, pp. 1115–1136. doi: 10.1139/w98-119.
- Ham S.S., Oh S.S., Kim Y.K., Shin K.W., Chang H.Y., Chung G.H. Antioxidant and genotoxic inhibition activity of ethanol extract from the Inonotus obliquus. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr., 2003, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 1071–1075.
- Ju H.K., Chung H.W., Hong S.-S., Park J.H., Lee J., Kwon S.W. Effect of steam treatment on soluble phenolic content and antioxidant activity of the Chaga muchroom (Inonotus obliquus). Food Chem., 2010, vol. 119, no. 2, pp. 619–625.
- Nakajima Y., Nishida H., Matsugo S., Konishi T. Cancer cell cytotoxicity of extracts and small phenolic compounds from Chaga [Inonotus obliquus (persoon) Pilat]. J. Med. Food, 2009, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 501–507. doi: 10.1089/jmf.2008.1149.
- Hu H., Zhang Z., Lei Z., Yang Y., Sugiura N. Comparative study of antioxidant activity and antiproliferative effect of hot water and ethanol extracts from the mushroom Inonotus obliquus. J. Biosci. Bioeng., 2009, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 42–48. doi: 10.1016/j.jbiosc.2008.09.004.
- Won D.P., Lee J.S., Kwon D.S., Lee K.E., Shin W.C., Hong E.K. Immunostimulating activity by polysaccharides isolated from fruiting body of Inonotus obliquus. Mol. Cells, 2011, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 165–173. doi: 10.1007/s10059-011-0022-x.
- Kim Y.-R. Immunomodulatory activity of the water extract from medicinal mushroom Inonotus obliquus. Mycobiology, 2005, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 158–162. doi: 10.4489/MYCO.2005.33.3.158.
- Kuznetsova O.Yu., Sysoeva M.A. Method for producing chromogenic shelf fungus complex. Patent RF no. 2450817, 2011. (In Russian)
- Sysoeva M.A., Khabibrakhmanova V.R., Gamayurova V.S., Kuznetsova O.Yu. Way of obtaining of shelf fungus water extracts. Patent RF no. 2343930, 2007. (In Russian)
- Sysoeva M.A., Kuznetsova O.Yu. Method for preparing shelf fungus extract. Patent RF no. 2448721, 2011. (In Russian)
- Kuznetsova O.Yu., Sysoeva M.A. Method for preparing shelf fungus extract. Patent RF no. 2463064, 2012. (In Russian)
- Ryzhova G.L., Kravtsova S.S., Matasova S.A., Gribel' N.V., Pashinskii V.G., Dychko K.A. Chemical and pharmacological properties of dry extract from black birch fungus. Pharm. Chem. J., 1997, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 551–544.
- Sysoeva E.V. The properties of water extracts and melanins of chaga obtained using SHF. Extended Abstract of Cand. Chem. Sci. Diss. Kazan, 2011. 16 p. (In Russian)
- Gracheva N.V., Golovanchikov A.B. Intensification of the extraction of biologically active substances from chaga by DC electric field. Khim. Farm. Zh., 2010, vol. 44, no. 11, pp. 22–24. (In Russian)
- Kondratieva T.S. Laboratory Guide on Pharmaceutical Technology of Dosage Forms. Moscow, Meditsina, 1986. 288 p. (In Russian)
- State Pharmacopoeia of the USSR. Moscow, 1987. 389 p. (In Russian)
- Murav'eva D.A. Pharmacognosy. Moscow, Meditsina, 1981. 714 p. (In Russian)
- Ziyatdinova G.K., Budnikov H.C., Pogorel'tzev V.I., Ganeev T.S. The application of coulometry for total antioxidant capacity determination of human blood. Talanta, 2006, vol.68, no. 3, pp. 800–805. doi: 10.1016/j.talanta.2005.06.010.
- Abdullin I.F., Turova E.N., Gaisina G.Kh, Budnikov G.K. Use of electrogenerated bromine for estimating the total antioxidant capacity of plant raw materials and plant-based medicinal preparations. J. Anal. Chem., 2002, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 557–560. (In Russian)
- Pogorel'tsev V.I., Ziyatdinova G.K., Budnikov G.K. Method for determining integral antioxidant capacity of biological fluid. Patent RF no. 2253114, 2005. (In Russian)
- Kozitsyna L.A., Kupletskaya N.B. Applications of UV, IR, and NMR Spectroscopy in Organic Chemistry. Moscow: Vysshaua Shkola, 1971, p. 264. (In Russian)
- Shivrina A.N. Chemical and spectrophotometric characteristics of water-soluble humin-like compounds formed by the fungus Inonotus obliquus (Pers.) Pil. Pochvovedenie, 1962, no. 11, pp. 51–60. (In Russian)
- Kuznetsova O.Yu. Physical and chemical properties and biological activity of the water extracts and polyphenol hydrocarboxylic complex of chaga. Cand. Chem. Sci. Diss. Kazan, 2004, 158 p. (In Russian)
For citation: Kuznetsova O.Yu., Abdullin I.Sh., Shaekhov M.F., Ziyatdinova G.K., Budnikov H.C. Investigation of Inonotus obliquus (Pers.) Pil. extracts and melanins after RF-plasma treatment of raw material. Uchenye Zapiski Kazanskogo Universiteta. Seriya Estestvennye Nauki, 2016, vol. 158, no. 1, pp. 23–33. (In Russian)
The content is available under the license Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.