Kazan is the capital and largest city of the Republic of Tatarstan, Russia. With a population of 1,143,535, it is the eighth most populous city in Russia. Kazan lies at the confluence of the Volga and Kazanka Rivers in European Russia. The origin of the name Kazan is uncertain. The most accepted legends derive it from the Bulgar (and also modern Tatar) word qazan, which means 'boiler' or 'cauldron'. One legend claims that the city was named after the river Kazanka, which was named after the son of a Bulgar governor dropped a copper cauldron into it.Other local legends claim that the city was named for the resemblance of the hill on which it sits to an upturned cauldron.
Kazan most famous site is its Kremlin. Declared a world heritage site in 2000, there is evidence that this area was used as a fortress from as early as the 11th Century. The buildings there today, however, mainly date from the 16th Century.
The white towers and walls of the Kremlin are also very impressive.
From about the same time is the famous Suyumbiki Tower, a striking construction 55 meters high and built with a slight lean. Next to the tower is the Governor House (completed in 1853), home to the President of Tatarstan
The Annunciation Cathedral dates from 1561-2 and is quite beautiful inside
They were constructed in the 15th and 16th centuries. The most notable tower is at the entrance to the Kremlin. Construction on the clock-bearing, 45m high Spasskaya Bashnya began in 1555. Also on the grounds of the Kremlin are a number of office buildings housing various government departments and a couple of museums.
Kul Sharif Mosque
Тoday the dominant building on the grounds of the Kremlin is the Kul Sharif Mosque. Built to coincide with Kazan 1000 year anniversary the new mosque stands on the site of an old mosque of the same name which was destroyed when Moscow conquered Kazan in 1552. The mosque is the largest in Russia, and reputedly also the largest in Europe.
St Peter and Paul Cathedral
Peter and Paul is a massive and absolutely beautiful baroque cathedral. Built to commemorate Peter the Great visit to Kazan, construction was finished in 1726. Inside it is equally sumptuous featuring a towering iconostasis, although the interior looks a little washed out. From the top of the steps leading to the main entrance you will have one of the most perfect views of the Kazan skyline possible. The tower-like building next to the church is actually the cathedral chapel.
Baumana Ulitsa (Bauman street)
Kazan main street is a huge pedestrian mall to rival Moscow Arbat in length. It has some of the same features as well: fountains, streets artists, a variety of shops, cafes and restaurants, interesting lanes on either side holding churches and the like. Of course, though, it is far less tourist oriented and is therefore much more relaxed
At the end of the street (the Tukaya Ploshchad end) stands a statue of Fyodor Shalyapin, who was an opera singer and one of Kazan most famous sons. Just on a little bit further is the towering Chapel of the Church of the Epiphany. With this mighty structure blocking your view it would be easy enough to miss the actual golden-domed, light blue colored Church of the Epiphany which stands just behind it.
Raif's being near Kazan the settlement, is famous for the Raifsky Bogoroditsky monastery. There is a shrine - the exact copy of an icon of the Georgian Mother of God. In all territory of a monastery for this day is: The Sofia church which was constructed in the 18th century, the Troitsk cathedral, a cathedral of the Georgian Mother of God, a cathedral of Saint fathers in Raif and Sinai the murdered. Here it is often possible to see pilgrims who come to pray at shrines. The monastery operating, at it works a shelter for boys. Novices mold original sculptures which can be seen in the monastery territory, for example, a sundial. We recommend to you to gather water from a sacred raifsky source. In avoidance of misunderstanding, it is better to stock up with container in advance as it it can not appear at the inspector of a source. As, surely visit the embankment on which, according to legends, frogs ceased to croak.