Major Fields of Study
• Philology: Russian, Tatar, foreign – English, Spanish and German. First programs in philology have been offered since 1804.
• Pedagogical Education: Russian language and literature, Tatar language and literature, foreign languages – English, German, French, Spanish, Chinese, Turkish. Implementation of some programs began in 1812.
• Culture and Art: music, fine arts, design, choreography. The activities in this field of study have been carried out since 1863.
Priority Research Areas
• Language and culture in multi-ethnic environment
• Mathematical and computational linguistics
• Modern educational technologies in the multicultural language environment
The institute preserves and develops traditions of philological research schools, which have gained international recognition.
Kazan School of Turkic Language Studies
The school dates back to 30-40's of the 19th century. The founders of this research school well-known in academic circles are I.S.Khalfin, H.M.Fren, F.I.Erdman, A.K.Kazem-Beck, A.Troyansky, I.N.Berezin, M.Makhmudov, A.Vagabov, M.Ivanov, S.Kuklyashev, Kayum Nasyri, N.F.Katanov, V.V.Radlov, etc.
Kazan Linguistic School
The school was developed in the 70's of the 19th century. Founded by Professor I.A.Baudouin de Courtene, its ideas were further extended by such well-known linguists as N.V.Krushevsky, V.A.Bogoroditsky, E.F.Budde, V.V.Radlov, A.I.Alexandrov, A.I.Anastasiyev, A.S.Arkhangelsky, S.K.Bulich, A.M.Selishchev, etc.
Kazan School of Literary Studies
The school was established in the second half of 19th – the beginning of the 20th century. Among outstanding philologists who have made significant contributions to the study of literature and culture are V.I.Grigorovich, M.P.Petrovsky, N.M.Petrovsky, D.I.Naguyevsky, S.P. and D.P.Shestakov, B.V.Varneke, V.M.Perevoshchikov, N.N.Bulich, A.S.Arkhangelsky, P.D.Mindalev, etc.
Kazan Linguomethodical School
The history of the school could be traced back to the second half of the 19th century. Among its distinguished representatives are such scholars as V.V.Radlov, Kayum Nasyri, V.A.Bogoroditsky, N.A.Bobrovnikov, N.K.Dmitriyev, M.H.Kurbangaliyev, R.S.Gazizov, A.Sh.Asadullin, L.Z.Shakirova, etc.