The Scientific Library of Elabuga Institute of KFU is one of the largest university libraries in the Vyatka-Kama region. It was created on the basis of the library of the pedagogical school in 1939 under the newly opened teachers' institute. K.N. Sizova was in charge of the library at that time.
By the beginning of 1940 its fund comprised 4,944 books. During the Great Patriotic War, the library fund was replenished with doublets from the libraries of Kazan Tatar Institute, Kazan Pedagogical School, Elabuga Non-classical Secondary School, Chistopol Pedagogical School and other educational institutions. During the war, the library serviced not only teachers and students of the Institute, but also employees evacuated to Elabuga from Leningrad and Voronezh State Universities.
Up to 1958 books were not filed, only new items were recorded in the inventory book. Since 1958, with the arrival of R.G. Shayakhmetov, a graduate of Moscow Library Institute, intensive work on the creation of directories started. There were prepared alphabetical and systematic directories, a card index of “teachers’ works”.
Since 1970, under the leadership of M.K. Gumarova great attention was paid to the bibliographic work. The systematic card index of newspaper and magazine articles, the local history file cabinet were created.
Almost for a quarter of a century V.P. Buldakova headed the library. During these years, the fund was in the process of rapid completion. Since 1985, the directories and files were converted into the bibliographic classification for academic libraries. In 1987 according to the statistical indicators the Library was allotted to Group III.
Under the direction of L.A. Galljamova (1997-2013) the technical equipment of the library changed seriously.
Since 2000 an electronic catalogue and electronic filing have been formed. Open access to the literature fund was introduced; workstations for users were established in the reference room. The zone of the reference room is provided with Wi-Fi. The institute established information systems, with their help users have quick access to the electronic library catalogue.
After merging with Kazan Federal University library in 2011, users have expanded opportunities by the use of electronic resources of leading foreign and domestic publishers and aggregators (the electronic collection Elsevier, the abstract database Scopus, electronic library systems, etc.). The reference room provides open access to the electronic library of dissertations of the Russian State Library.
Along with the electronic collections, the library offers its users a fund with about 400,000 copies of educational, scientific, reference literature and fiction in the Russian, Tatar, English and German languages.